Saturday, July 21, 2012

An Evening to Remember

This past week has been overwhelmingly beautiful.  If words would suffice, I could surely write an entire novel.  For those of you who have not heard, my sweet Michael traveled 7,000 miles across the world to ask me to be his bride.  He braved 36 hours of travel, delayed flights, and lots of security checkpoints to finally get to me.  A small portrait of the way my Heavenly Prince pursues me.

Our week together was rich to say the very least! I absolutely loved having him here in my China home with my China family.  I have often dreamed of sitting in baby nurseries with him and watching him with the children who have stolen my heart.  I never knew if that dream would come true.  I think I spent the first three days of his trip in a state of constant teary-ness, overwhelmed by the faithfulness of my God.


On Sunday, we went for an afternoon picnic on river paddle boats.  It was a wonderful start to a wonderful evening.  Afterwards, he told me to dress up as much as I'd like because he had something planned for the evening.  He led me up to the rooftop, one of my favorite spots in the entire building.  It is on this rooftop where I have experienced some of my highest of highs and lowest of lows.  It is here that I have wrestled with the Lord morning after morning and found that He often speaks most clearly in painful circumstances. This rooftop is very special to me.  We turned the corner to find a beautiful scene displayed.  White table cloths, a beautiful bouquet of roses, and dozens of candles swaying in the wind.  Instrumental hymns of adoration and worship were playing gently in the background.  Tears spilled down my face as "Great is Thy Faithfulness" created the undertone for the evening. Truly, He is so faithful!

We sat at the table and he filled our glasses with sparkling cider.  Soon, my sweet friends Rebecca and Mariah appeared.  Rebecca was taking photos and Mariah was serving our homemade meal.  I was once again overcome with emotion to see what lengths these precious ones had gone to simply to serve me.  After a delicious meal of lasagna, bread, and salad, Michael asked me if I wanted to dance.  So there, on the rooftop of the Big Blue House, we put our ballroom dancing skills into action...and we danced.

Soon, Michael whispered in my ear that he had something else to show me.  We walked back around the corner to find two chairs with a small table in the middle.  The lighting was soft and a single white rose waited in my chair.  I sat down and Michael pulled a small bag from under the table.  In the bag was a letter that he read out loud.  Oh friends, Jesus Christ truly does write the sweeter song! His way truly is best! He is the author of romance and a love story scripted by Him can be nothing less than breathtaking.  Before I knew it, my Michael was down on one knee holding the most beautiful ring I've ever seen.  And there, on the rooftop of the Big Blue House, he asked me to be his bride.  And I've never been more overjoyed to let out a resounding y-e-s!

Over the past three years, I have been pursued by a man who loves Jesus more than he will ever love me.  I have watched him give of himself over and over for the sake of those around him.  He has been cautious to guard my heart, prayerfully mulling over each and every word he speaks to me.  He begged Jesus to set the pace of our relationship from day one and has adhered to His gentle voice even when the world said to move faster.  He has treated me as a delicate flower worth protecting.  He has fought for me in prayer more times than I am even aware of.  He has sought counsel from older men in order to gain as much wisdom as possible.  He goal is to bring maximum glory to Jesus Christ, and it has been evident in each step of his pursuit of me. 

I know Jesus better because I have been pursed and loved by Michael.  I have been inspired to chase Jesus with more passion, more abandon, and more faith.  I have seen a small picture of my Heavenly Prince's love for me and how he fights ceaselessly for my heart.

Jesus has been so good to us.  To be here in this Big Blue House that has forever stolen my heart, with my precious kiddos and my sweet China family...I could not imagine a better way to enter into this next season of life.  Jesus Christ is the dream giver and the dream fulfiller.

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Psalm 103:1






3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Abby. So glad to get to be a part of your special night and grateful to walk this season with you. Love you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully written Abby! Thank you for writing this and documenting the wonderful occasion. We are so blessed to welcome you into our family! Keep up the God Work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sweet Abby,
    Tears are flowing....what an awesome God we serve. Oh, how faithful He is...to reward your faithfulness to Him in such a tender way. He does pursue you more than your husband to be.

    Thank you for sharing this priceless memory.

    ReplyDelete